How ya goin?! (That's what they say down under... I dunno)

I created this blog when I went to Australia to let everyone know I was alive and what I was up to. I've since returned but I realized that I really enjoy writing... especially when I am writing about myself! (fun fact: there are about 130 words in this little "welcome" blurb- 13 of which are a form of "I". 10%. So if you don't like me, I (14) would stop reading.) So the blog continues. My promise to my reader(s?) (Hi Dad): I will never write to let you know that I worked out for three hours, folded my laundry, or just had a really "deep"thought (mostly because I've never actually done any of these things).

So stay awhile, say whatsup... or just creepily stalk from the shadows and never say anything. That's cool too.

Cheers :) and thanks for reading!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here. I gotta send him back to the South Pole..."

Such a good weekend!! First off, it was Colin's birthday (yay Colin!!). We celebrated with cake, alcohol, and some good beats (always a recipe for success) and danced the night away in the middle of Melbourne. One of the things I love about this city is its seemingly underground restaurant and nightlife scene. Back home, walking down a dodgy alley is a good way to die. Here, if you want to find the best restaurants and clubs, take a quick jaunt down the sketchiest alleyway you can find.


Melbourne really supports its local artists. One of a kind works of art dot the streets and where graffiti would be considered vandalism back home, here it seems to be another from of expression and only adds to the rich vitality of the city. 


But I have to say, Sunday was by far the best day I've had so far (no offense Colin!). We paid $85 for day trip to Phillip Island, which is about two hours south of the city.  By far the best money I've spent yet. We made a few stops along the way...

Found me a Joey :) 



This is an emu.... they have red eyes and they bite. Sounds like a bad vampire if you ask me.



Then off to a beach... a coastal oasis, with the roaring surf, a perfect aquamarine color, that pounded a shore made up of sand so fine it belongs in an hourglass...



I was so excited. I ran straight down to the shore, played in the surf, chasing the waves... I was just beginning to feel at one with Australia when I made the mistake of writing "USA" in the sand with my foot and promptly got SLAMMED by a wave... even Mother Nature hates us!

Despite this, I cannot begin to describe to you how I felt when I saw this beach. I love Melbourne but let's face it... I'm not a city girl. I haven't been completely content here but the moment I saw the coastline I finally KNEW that it was all going to be alright... such a feeling of peace.

Can you tell a thunderstorm was going to hit in a couple hours? Because we couldn't.


After leaving the beach, we continued heading towards Phillip Island and saw some koalas along the way! Can you spot the koala?

 


So cute!


And so typical... :)



Finally, we were off to Phillip Island.


The island is home to the Little Penguin. It is the smallest penguin (about 13 inches) and the only blue feathered penguin in the world. You aren't allowed to take pictures of them at night but I did see this little guy during the day. I've named him Norm.


The island is famous for the Penguin Parade- every night at sunset, hundreds of Little Penguins make the trek from the sea to their underground burrows in the hills. They are so cute and they really do waddle. Their stride actually reminds me of a baby (or a drunk...), stumbling, pitched forward and looking like it's about to topple. I don't care what the guide said- it was TOTALLY March of the Penguins! Would you like to see? What? You would?? 


Forget harvest work- we are ridiculously good actors, no?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds AMAZING-- You look great!

    Oh and USA! USA! USA! USA!, etc...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Joey! So cute! I want to see koalas!

    ReplyDelete